Friday, August 7, 2026

I walked into the hospital room and went up to the bed. And was aghast to see him. He gave me a blank look when I blurted out, "Mr Pai, I am going for the Comic Con to Delhi."He clutched my wrist and struggled to say something but couldn't, that brought a lump in my throat. Here was the man who had a speech ready for every occasion and now...
I was speechless.

Mrs Pai turned to me and said, "He will be fine, the hip operation is today. He will be okay then and I will come to Delhi to receive the Life Time Achievement Award on his behalf."
I was shocked to see Mr Pai looking so helpless on the bed, didn't expect to see him in this condition after all he had just suffered a hip injury which did not justify his present condition.

"He worked relentlessly throughout his life, going to schools all over India and me along with him," continued Mrs Pai. "He used to walk up to little shops and talk to the owners into displaying Amar Chitra Katha's. Never has he taken a sick leave..."

I turned to look at Mr Pai to see him raising his hand together as if giving himself a clap...
Here was this couple who shared the same birth date, the same vision, the same passion...

My head was reeling and i didn't know what to do. I was there to take a message from Mr Pai to his fans at the Comic Con. And I had walked into this surreal world of Mr & Mrs Pai where every thing was perfectly fine, with no signs of seriousness of the situation. I took a video of Mrs Pai saying a few words on behalf of Mr Pai.

When i was leaving Mrs Pai once again assured that she will make it on her own to Delhi on Sunday to receive the award. I didn't know what to say and just smiled, mumbled a hasty bye and left.

Today when i think of that day in the hospital I realise it was perfectly fine for them to behave so nonchalant and casual, because thats the way they were throughout their lives never resting and always on the move... unstoppable...

Falling sick or taking a vacation or a break is never on your agenda when you have so much to do...




No comments: